Who should read it: Applicable to everyone.
In the life, it’s important to decide your own principles and philosophies that you want to follow. I encourage everyone to think and plan for your own life principles.
Why to create your own life principles:
- As Stephen Covey suggested in his book “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People“, that principle based life is a true fulfilling life as compared to single centered life (like money centered, spouse centered, or similar).
- To take a decision on a situation, having your own set of principles help.
An example of list of principles:
- My core values: Service and Perseverance. Out of all, service is the first priority.
- Decide your focus areas in the life. Then, make the progress in those areas first. Leave the rest. Mine are: Spiritualism, Fitness, Finance, and Folks.
- Creating an Ignore List is equally important as creating your focus area list. For example, one of my items in the ignore list is to avoid watching TV after 10 PM.
- This world needs service. And, we all are born to serve self and others. You are a parent because you want to serve. You are a friend because you want to serve. You work because you want to serve. You do business because you want to serve. You do X because you want to serve.
- If you have time to make only one friend, it should be your writing journal. Journey of finding purpose can begin from it and end at it. Journey of achieving anything can begin and end with planning. Writing is a great process of achieving it.
- At your work, always do the bare minimum required tasks first. Reason is, many times, we miss the minimum required work. This also helps to navigate what’s most important to be done for the day. The second is to do more than required. Sometimes, in the process of figuring it out how to do more, we may lose the focus on doing the minimum required first.
- Try to enjoy each and every moment of your life: at work and outside work.
- Humor is important. If you focus on it, you could see the humor in every situation. This is the best remedy to stay healthy mentally.
- Enjoying the journey is as equally important as achieving a goal.
- When working with people, always separate people from the situation.
- Planning and creating a vision is important. In the famous business book, “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People,” Stephen R. Covey stated that “all things are created twice. There’s a mental or first creation, and a physical or second creation to all things.”
- As we are temporary on this earth, how can our problems be permanent? That means, there is a solution to everything.
- If you have time to do only one thing today, focus on servicing others. If you have time for one another thing in the day, practice a gratitude habit. Before going to bed, simply review who and what are you thankful to and for.
- If you want something, dare to ask for it. Many times, people don’t get what they want because they don’t ask for it.
- If anything a human can do, you can. Because you are a human.
- Persistence is the key to success. Failure is just a step before the success. Make progress towards your goals with a steady approach, one step at a time on a day. Consistent efforts are more important than a one-time effort.
As I learn more, I will update it. Thank you !